Monday, May 4, 2015

How I Never Thought I Could Fall for a Romance Scam…but I Did

You always believe it won't happen to you, until it does

We’ve all heard stories of online scammers romancing women in Malaysia, usually Nigerian or African scammers stealing someone else’s photos and using it as their own, then cheating unsuspecting lovelorn women out cheating them of their money. I, single-woman in her 30’s, had been doing online dating for many years, and met a lot of those men in person, locals as well as foreigners, without any trouble. Most of those meet-ups unfortunately mostly did not turn into a relationship, those that did, did not last long for various reasons. I’d come across men online whom I quickly figured out were scammers and ceased contact with them, and thought I was on top of the game when it came to avoiding scammers. I am well educated, working a well paid job and regularly read about all the tricks they use…usually posing as white men, sometimes men in the military as those uniforms always impress the ladies. They’d try to win you over by revealing their love for you early…and if you were desperate, you would fall for it. Some men had tried with me and failed because their love confession came too early and it was unrealistic. I was looking for love, but did not make me desperate or stupid enough to fall for such silly tactics. Bad experiences had actually made me very picky and generally untrusting of men, hence the number of guys I agreed to meet has dropped a lot over time. I thought with my level of waryness towards the male species, identifying a scammer would be no problem for me. 

Until I met Derry Johnstone online. Or the scammer who called himself that. Even after knowing the common tricks, and having suspicions that it was a scam, the fact that the scammer had OTHER ACTORS working with him and even BACKGROUND SOUND EFFECTS to match what I thought was happening made it EXTREMELY convincing, and even when I had evidence that it was a scam, I chose to ignore the warning signs because the acting and sound effects were so convincing. For some women, this could have resulted in them losing their life savings. For me, because I strongly suspected I was being scammed but was already emotionally hooked, I lost slightly less than a month’s salary. It’s not so bad, but the fact that the scam was that elaborate made me decide to share this story.  

How I Met the Scammer


In early April 2015 on the dating website I commonly use, OKCupid (however, this can happen on through ANY dating site), I saw a profile of an attractive Caucasian man using the handle, dstoneage.


Some of the photos he used on his profile. Dreamy, eh?:





I decided to message him, he soon messaged me back and we hit it off and  He introduced himself as Derry. He claimed to be mixed Scottish-Serbian and had been working in KL for the past 4 months, buying and selling antiques from Malaysia to US and UK and intending to register a company in Malaysia.  



Soon I gave him my number so we proceeded to chat on Whatsapp and eventually over the phone. He had a sexy voice and a strong Australian accent, and he explained that that is because he grew up in Australia. Since he sounded nothing like an African, I didn’t suspect anything. Our conversations throughout the chat were so convincing, so his acting was VERY good. 

He revealed his supposed last name as Johnstone:


His Whatsapp profile pic. More pics made his scam more convincing.


Early on in the chat, he changed his contact number, claiming that he had lost his phone. It occurred to me that changing his number sounds like something a scammer might do after a hit, but I ignored that warning sign too and continued chatting. He also sent me a couple more photos of himself on Whatsapp, which was the same person as per his online dating profile. 

Other photos he sent me of himself during our Whatsapp conversation to make me swoon. One he claimed he took after a spraining his back at the gym:


And another while he was supposedly out looking for stuff to buy (yeah, that colour combination is like what):


I had asked to Skype with him, but he claimed he never used it before and was busy, so I didn’t push it. This is also a warning sign, if a person you met online refuses to video chat with you, he/she might not be the person behind the photos.

The Scammer's Fake Business Trip

And a couple of weeks of chatting, he claimed to be travelling in Miri, Sarawak to buy antiques. 


He intended to be there only few days, but over the course of our chat, he claimed his stay got extended longer than he had planned as he found many antiques to buy. He also claimed to be staying at the Marriot Hotel (this is a 5 star hotel, and a method of impressing women to believe he has lots of money), updating me on what he did and we continued chatting. 

He also sent me some photos of the antiques he claimed to have bought:





One day, he said he was trying to buy an antique vase from a lady but couldn’t speak the language so he couldn’t do the sale. I then offered to help by speaking to the lady next time he met her, and he was happy at my suggestion coz’ it didn’t occur to him. The next day, when he was purportedly at the shop, he asked me to help talk over the phone to a Malay female shop owner to haggle the price of the vase, which was being sold at a whopping RM12,000 (again, another fake sign that he has a lot of money to spend). I managed to convince this lady, to lower the price. This convinced me further he was doing legitimate business, however I now know that this lady was just another actress

Using Sob Stories to Lead Me to Trust Him

Throughout our chat, he was not pushy or being unrealistically romantic, which is typical of romance scammers that reveal their undying love for women early on, and desperate woman would fall for it but I would have found that unusual and scary. He just told me interesting and funny stories of his stay here, some of the culture shock he experienced travelling to a village to buy antiques and learning to eat with his hands like the Malays. He also told me over the phone how he had difficulty talking to people because local people couldn't understand his accent... how everytime he met people in KL, he couldn't make permanent friends because they were most travelers coming for a few days then flying off again... how he met two women here who he got close to but it didn’t work out as one wanted him to convert to Islam, which he refused because he’s a Christian, and another turned out to be a ladyboy which he could not recognize because he was a foreigner. The way he told the stories sounded so sincere so I felt sorry for him. 

He also talked about how nice it would be to have someone (like me) to motivate him to wake up early, coz' he usually sleeps late. Plus he had a nice kitchen in his rented place in KL and would be great to have someone (like me) make a nice homecooked meal every now and then, coz' he was tired of eating outdoors but not much of cook himself. Subtle ways of putting the idea in my head that he needed a woman in his life and that I could be that one special person. 

Soon he was calling me ‘dear’ and ‘darling’, which I usually prefer guys not to call me that too early in the relationship, but because I felt connected with him, I let my guard down and started calling him the same, something I rarely do with guys I have not met in person, which shows just how convincing he was. Essentially he figured out what pace I was comfortable with and worked at my pace, not rushing to be too romantic like some scammers do. It was all very clever. If I could meet a guy who was honest and meant all of things he had said to me, I'd probably be the happiest woman ever. How frustrating it is that men who know how to say the right things to woman use that ability to be a cheating jackass.

The Lure of the Flashy Car

On 28 April, he told me he intended to rent a car when he got back to KL so he could do his business registration easily. He sent me photos of the car he intended to rent, a very flashy looking BMW convertible (again, another tactic to convince me he was rich) through his email address, derry_johnstone@yahoo.com. He included a forwarded email from the supposed car rental dealer. After the scam, I later tested the email address of the supposed car dealer and found it to be non-existent. 



Again, it is common for scammers to use such tactics to make women believe they have plenty of money. I've actually dated men who have little or no money, so I was not as interested in his money as I was his personality. Though of course, the lure of a good lifestyle would be a good extra bonus for any woman. 

The Lead Up to the Money Scam

On the days leading up to the trap to get my money, Derry told me that he was almost done buying all the antiques he needed and was looking for licensed person to ship the antiques. Reason he had to do it through another person is because he had not registered his business.

He claimed to have tried talking to a few shipment dealers, but deal did not go through due the high price which he did not want to pay. 

During this time, he said he had stayed much longer in Miri than initially intended, he said he had run out of clothes, was getting tired of being there and just wanted to come back to KL, and of course wanted to meet me. 




In the conversation below, he explains the supposed complications of him getting the shipment for his antiques: 





Oscar Winning Con Job Day

1st May 2015 was the day Derry fooled me of my money, with the help of several actors and good background sound effects to make his story convincing. I would have never believed a romance scammer would go through that extent to make his story believeable, until that day!

He claimed to plan to fly back from Miri to KL the same day after doing his shipment of the antiques he bought, and asked me to pick me up from KL Sentral around 7pm. 



He left to the shipping company in the morning, but later called to say he was having problems as the lady in charge required him to pay RM36,000 but he only had RM10,000 left on him. He said he would pay RM10,000 first and transfer the rest when he was in KL, but the lady refused and said minimum RM16,000 was needed upfront. I then helped to speak to the lady supposedly running the shipping company, her supposed name was Siti Aisyah. Over the phone, I could hear office background noise like phones ringing, so again this made me believe it was a real company. She was adamant that she needed an additional RM6000, and wanted it banked into her company driver’s account, under name of Abdan bin Munir with Maybank account no. 156226084446. 


Derry begged me to help otherwise he would miss his flight, and he had not more money to stay overnight and was very tired staying in Miri, plus he wanted to meet me badly. He claimed he had plenty of cash in his room in KL and could pay me back straight away. 

At this point, the suspicion of scam grew even more. I even called Marriot Hotel in Miri to ask if anyone named Derry Johnstone had checked into that hotel recently… and they said no. That was a big warning sign, yet I chose to ignore it because all other things prior made me still convinced his story was true and I thought maybe the hotel system no longer had his name on record since he checked out that day. Plus the fact that he made it out like he was in a very desperate situation with not even enough money left to stay the night and wanting to come back to KL made me feel sorry for him. Eventually, I caved and banked in RM4000, but not the complete RM6000 because of my pre-set bank transaction limit. I hoped that that would be the end of it, but it wasn’t. 

Later that day, Derry called and said he had further problems as he met a man named Kaiser who he thought was a customer at the shipping company, so Derry told his man he only paid RM10,000 plus the smaller sum I had backed in. The story became that Kaiser was actually Siti's business partner who was angry that Siti agreed to accept only less than half the full payment of RM36,000. Kaiser then took Derry's passport under pretense of wanting to photocopy it, but did not come back with it. Derry called me again and told me he now was being forced by Kaiser to make the full payment of RM36,000 or else he would not get back his passport, but he had no more money. He also gave me Kaiser's number to try and talk to him, which I did but he refused to negotiate. 





Derry told me he would try and pawn his watch with was worth about RM9000 (another sign of his purported wealth), and when I called him later, I heard the background noise was as if he was in a car. Although it seemed like a stressful situation and he had missed his flight, he actually showed concern for me, asking if I had had my dinner. Although he did not directly ask me for money, I made the next mistake of deciding to help him further coz’ I felt even more sorry for him. I contacted my bank and learned that I could increase my daily transaction limit to RM10,000. However, I only transfered RM3000 as I was not willing to give any more than one month of my salary, and my suspicions of this being a scam had escalated. Derry told me he was proud of me, another tactic to make me feel sorry for him.




Later that evening, after Derry supposedly had pawned the watch and paid Kaiser RM9000, he told me he still did not get his passport from Kaiser as there was still a large outstanding balance to be paid. Derry was forced to stay at a backpackers that night. The next morning on 2 May 2015, he called me at 6.00am, told me how tired he was and wanted to come home. He tried to romance me, but I was not in the mood and pretended to enjoy it to appease him. 

After that, I tested him by saying I had no more money and lied to him, saying I have a friend who can help pay, but my friend wanted to see evidence that what Derry was doing is legitimate, such as emails to clients, photo of the receipt he got for pawning the watch, shipping documents, etc. Derry got angry and said I was insulting me, trying to make me feel guilty for not trusting him. This was another big sign that he was lying as he reacted in anger rather than try to send some evidence.

Later in the afternoon, he claimed that he managed to get RM7000 from his clients and just need another RM3000 from me. I still refused, claiming I had no more money. He then got angry again and claimed he was doing to meet the guy and fight for his passport if needed to, but I still refused, claiming I simply could not help as I had no more money and lied further saying my father was dying in the hospital and I needed money for the operation. Derry was not very sympathetic but instead continued to focus on his ‘problem’. 


I tested him again through sms, claiming that since he had no wifi access, my friend wanted the password to his email address to verify what work he was doing, only after which my friend would be willing to pay. Derry got angry again. 





This was of course a very big sign of the scam as instead of doing what I asked, which was a small matter considering his 'desperate' situation, he got angry and tried to make me feel guilty, which didn't work. 

Around 7.30pm on 2 May 2015, I called him and when he picked up, I heard dramatic background noises like he was fighting with Kaiser to get the passport back. That was probably the pinnacle of the sound effects he used to con me.

After that the line went dead and his number was uncontactable since. However, I still see his profile as active on the dating site where we met but he does not answer my messages. 

The Law is POWERLESS to help Scam Victims

Naturally, I have made a police report and also reported to Maybank, but as expected, the police are slow to act. They asked me to provide a statement on 5 May, several days after the incident which gives the criminals plenty of time to change their contacts, take out the money, close the account and become untraceable. Maybank also cannot do anything to transfer the money back to me, even if I have records of my transfers. They won't even provide the details of the fucktard named Abdan bin Munir who owns the account, unless asked by the police. Telco companies cannot reveal any information on the details used to register the criminals’ mobile numbers unless the police request this info also. And we all know police in Malaysia are inept and slow at hunting down anyone (unless you're accused of sedition!). I know through research that Derry was using Maxis, while his hooligans, Siti and Kaiser were both using Digi. Even with this info, all we can do it wait for our inept authorities to take any action, if they will even bother! Scammers know this and take advantage of the inept behaviour of police as well as privacy laws that work to their favour. 

I hope this detailed story will help be aware again how sophisticated these scammers have become, to the extent of using other people as actors and background sound effects to sound convincing. If you have a met a person online, especially a good looking Caucasian (because scammers love using such pics to con Malaysian women), here are some tips to avoid being conned:

1) If you have suspicions, test it further by asking to video call the person, asking for them to send more photos of themselves where they claim to be. If they are unwilling to video call or unable to send more pics, this is a warning sign that they aren't the person behind the pics they have already sent.

2) Test their claims like what I did, calling the hotel to check if such a person had checked in, and checking the email of the fake car dealer he sent me… and do so before making any payments. If you ask for evidence and they react in anger, you know you are being scammed. 

I made the mistake of not questioning him further when I found out the hotel had no Derry Johnstone checked in, because I duped by the stressful situation he claimed to be in and I didn't want to make him more stressed... my heart took control of my head as in common in women, which was foolish. Don’t give up money to a person you've never met out of pity, and especially not for love. Losing almost one month’s salary is ok for me, but many other woman (and possibly men scammed by women) can easily lose their life savings and also have their heart broken in the process. 

Please share this story to all your female friends. I hope I can find the guy whose photos were used by this scammer as well, as he was equally a victim of identity theft.

Thank you. 

46 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing.. i was almst scammed by a local man but thank God i did not loose anythng except that i was emotionally hooked....thanks alot again..its a great warning for me not to trust anyone onlne easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story, I know it must have been hard for you. Stay strong, and take care. I sincerely wish the best for you, and that the criminal gets caught or at the very least, gets his punishment in another way. It's despicable what they do and they will regret it one day. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With that profile picture, no woman could ever resist the charm! Nice choice, 'Derry Dstoneage', nice choice. (-,-)
    Every women should be more careful in these days. :'(
    Oh btw, thank you for the write and the warning.. :')

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice story u got there, i read it till the end haha. :D
    btw good luck on finding the one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a story ! It could even be cast as a block buster ! Hope the scammer rots in hell, for taking advantage of women ! Hope you will be successful, in the search for the " genuine one " all the best ! Thanks for the share ...much appreciated !

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very unfair for you to insinuate that Nigerians in Malaysia are up to no good. It hurts when one gets cheated off hard earned money in few ringgits not to talk of thousands. I get cheated in almost everything i do in Malaysia, even pasar malam aunties and uncles tell me to pay rm10 for fruits a malaysian paid rm6 for or in front of me, not to talk of the idiots that made away with my house rental deposit and car deposit, all in the name of being agents. What happened to you is their standard Modus operandi, nothing special or elaborate.

    I understand you are angry that you lost a lot of money to these people (4k is alot) but, inserting dodgy assertions like "usually Nigerians or Africans" only creates more victims because it leads people to look for the wrong signs.

    A lady under pressure to settle down who resorts to finding love on line is not of sound mind IMO and no matter the level education or exposure, she'll send her hard earned money to these bastards if she follows your description of the people who you say are "usually" behind the illusionary stud

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, not me insinuating but even international news says Nigerian or African romance scams are frequent in Malaysia, and not to mention they are also infamous for causing problems to landlords of the property they rent. Not to say all are the same, but when the problem is frequent enough that it makes international news, then you can't deny that it's a problem. Of course, it's easily as easy to judge Nigerians and Africans of being here to make trouble as it is to say women who look for love online are not of sound mind, which is an equally judgemental statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thumbs UP*

      I myself (a male) had a lot of nigerian friends in college days, I am not very close to them, just that friends that i could go to lunch with and sometimes talk about nonsense in classroom.

      my advice to people out there, be VERY VERY alert when you are with them. be extra cautious and careful. not all of them are bad, but from my experience extremely few of them are good.

      i am not being a racist here to insult nigerians, as i am just addressing my experience.

      news casters and newspapers are not trying to insult nigerians as well. they just reported the news.

      in this story, it may not be a nigerian scammer anyway.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/419_scams
      http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/tag/nigerian419scams

      Delete
  8. from google search: the scammer's other numbers -

    1) http://www.iklandimudah.com/kesihatan/firmax-3-krim-kesihatan-dan-kecantikan.html
    2) http://jutawannetwork.com/members/medan58/activity/friends/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scammer's possible Twitter handle: https://twitter.com/medan71

    other info: http://my.viadin.me/abdan_munir/

    -Scam Detective-

    ReplyDelete
  10. As you can see below, his name could be "MUhamad hanafIah bIn ABdan"
    and he might have used his father's bank account number.

    So the guy you're looking for may be.. Muhamad Hanafiah Bin Abdan)

    https://twitter.com/medan71



    View translation
    Abdan Munir @medan71 · 19 Jan 2011
    MUhamad hanafIah bIn ABdan (MUhamad hanafIah bIn) | Stream http://lnk.ms/HvxV0
    0 retweets 0 favorites
    Reply Retweet Favorite Hootlet
    More
    View translation
    Abdan Munir @medan71 · 18 Jan 2011
    MUhamad hanafIah bIn ABdan (MUhamad hanafIah bIn) on Myspace http://lnk.ms/Ht00w
    0 retweets 0 favorites
    Reply Retweet


    -Scam Detective-

    ReplyDelete
  11. the man was really handsome and sexy though. Hahaha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing. Perhaps u would like to consider switching to offline dating instead? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep! this is something we should all do!

      Delete
  13. Omg I have the exact same experience! Right now in fact but with a different face and different name. But all the other details in the story is exactly the same! Fortunately for me it hasn't gone too far, he is right now at the port finding a shipper with license. I suspect it will unravel soon and I'm glad I read your story in time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hellio there. Sorry to hear about your scam... Its hard to forget about this kind of things because you were involved emotionally and what hurts the most is not becoz of the loss of money but more on the loss of your heart. I know how it feels coz i have been theu all that. One day i will tell you my story but right now im just trying to forget. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this post! I am an educated woman who never once suspected a scam. Luckily, a friend planted the seed that this might be the case and I started looking into it further. While I could find no actual evidence, little things that did not seem quite right kept popping into my head. Luckily, all I am out is $50 for an iTunes card that he talked me into buying for his "daughter" yesterday. I do know that I would never have sent any more money but am still quite heartbroken that the entire thing happened as I really was taken in and thought I'd found an incredible man. I just emailed him and told him I was onto his game and would not respond to his messages. Told him to show up at my door if he was real! Pretty sure that's not going to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can relate your story it happened to me too. I lost near 100k USD. Just like you red flags are pointed at me and I am still ignoring it. However I lost money but since we invest in stock markets I earned back that money. However I founnd the real man onthe photos he uses to scam me. And that is Dr. Steve G Jones. When I found I only talking to the scammer from Accra Ghana in more than a weeks. I pretended, he keep sending me mails and talking to me on Skype and still asking me to help him. I said I have no money at all. He get nasty and he called me a bitch and rude. I confronted him and I say to him you are using someone photos to scam and steal my money. He said to me his real and that. PERSON I find he just using his pics. I saw him also in web cam but that also just a video he had stolen from Steve too please be aware outhere when someone approached you on internet. I am not in any dating site and I am not looking for a man too on internet but they got me on Skype. Some are not a victim yet you can call me stupid but I am not they take advantage on my empathy and sympathy for others cuz this scammer knew that i am helping others young kids on their education and helping other people's in Philippines. When I found out that it was scam I thought to myself be strong and family in Taiwan are very supported. Well I lost that much money but I did I earned back triple and I will lay my hands off cuz I believe in the word KARMA! I just wanna say to my scammer who goes by name Christopher Brian `sin is like a credit card happy now and pay later. Forgive my poor grammar btw visit this page Scamming Scammers community page on fcebook and help you to educate ourselves to avoid of being a victim of these scammers. I wish thought I found this page and at least I know everything about this dumbass scammers before I got scam. Be safe everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was being scamm victim...really sad but I got scammed from my own best friend. She is gf of nigerian's man. And this nigerian man pretend and introduce me to his uk's friend. I really wish they will get KARMA. Her gf is pregnant now..he never think what will happen if he did bad things to others, God will pay more worst than this.Amin

      Delete
  18. We all know what nigerians are doing in malaysia. why the hell the government is still giving them student visa ? why not to cancel all and send all these monkeys back to nigeria !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. In these days, I find lots of scam stories; it is like every 100th person is a scammer. The problem is these people not want to work hard, they just want to make money in a quick way and scam is the only way to fulfill their desire.
    I don't understand only one thing that why people believe and fall in for these type of Scams.
    We can't help each and every person in this world, but we can share this information with everyone.
    https://simonhendersons.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Miss. I read ur story. Im filipina and a victim too. He is Nigerian in cheras and they mostly lived in venice condo. we lost our hard money and sad to say we cannot get back our money, I sent a letter of complaint to the immigration to call their attention but, no response until now because these Nigerians dont have visa/passport. Your government should enforce the law. the Police authorities knew about these people in cheras who dont have visa/passport, Your authorities are corrupt, they asked money then they released after. These Nigerians are sleeping at day time and awake at night, nothing to do but to scam hard money from women. You can search them in facebook nigerians in cheras who posted photos with cars like they are very rich. They roamed at night like rats and standby at the tea restaurants in cheras, they drink beer every night they are very noisy, loud voice together with their girlfriends malaysian, filipinos and thailander prostitutes or domestic helpers. How i wish am there we can help each other. You can contact MKL Media will coordinate with the vice squad immigration officers. these nigeriaans are jobless and no papers. why your government cannot catch these people and send them back to their country. they victimized many mostly women all over the world, your government should stop these useless brainlesss mugu nigerians.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing.I have only just escaped from a scammer.Its a long story but i will try and cut it short .I met a guy through instagram , he send me a request and i added him just after adding him he made comments on almost all my photos , i was so suprised since i didnt know him. Anyway i responded to some of them then he asked for my contact details , i added him on wechat then we chatted for a while before he insisted to see me on video.we talked for 3 hrs on the first day .He told me that he was from Nigeria but he is teaching English in Malaysia .After a week of talking on chatting and talking on Video he told me that he was falling for me and that he loves me.I told him that it was to early for me to say anything .However we added each other on all other social media sites.He told me that his baby mama dumped him for someone when she was after the birth of his son. It was my birthday 2 wks after we talked he asked me what i wanted and i told him not to send me anything but he insisted and i ended up giving him my address since i trusted him a bit.On my birthday he called me a lot of times through out the day then in the evening he called and he sang and danced for me.Around midnight we were taking on video then he started talking about how lonely he was and how he want me to visit him since I only live 5hrs flight away from him.so we arranged to meet 3 months after talking online. The first red flag , he told me that he didnt have enough money for my flight so i can pay for it then he will pay next time.After we discussed about my visit he was always busy, he told me that he was studying part time and he was also into electronics bussiness.Another red flag english teacher,student and a businessman?? So we would talk when he is free.When it was almost close to the date when i was supposed to travel he became free again , we talked for long hours and we ended up discusing about sex.One day he asked me to show him my boobs , i refused then he got so angry after i hung up the phone and i texted him to say im not a pornstar .The next day he apologised and he said i should understand that he is so lonely. I felt bad then next time he asked i showed him then he stripped his clothes and i did the same too then we had online sex. I know it was stupid of me to do this.Even though i was suspecting that he might be a scammer i was also trusting him because i had seen him on video and i also asked him about scammers in Malaysia and he said not everyone does it and whoever is doing it they are doing it with the Malaysians.He was so excited to meet me but i decided not to go after i had bad dreams and reading some stories on the internet.He was so disappointed when i didnt go to see him. We continued to talk for a week before he asked me for money for his sons birthday. He got so angry when i told him i couldnt help him with the money.He called me any name you can think of. I was so hurt because i was falling for him.One day i took time to go through his facebook page, i noticed he talk to a lot of different woman around the world. I also saw a comment from his sister then i stalked her. To my surprise this guy had another facebook account and he is married. He also lied about his name and a lot of things.I was so hurt it was 5 months of fake romance, im not sure what was going to happen if i had visited him . Or may be he wanted me to sort him some papers.I stopped talking to him. Blocked him everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loyal Quest Sdn Bhd
    Is Malaysian biggest Scammer '' Registered Company to scam people that needed job, visa, mostly People from Pakistan , Philippines and Indonesian. Which operated by 2 SISTERS Names Farihah. This company is located at the heart of Kuala lumpur. Take note about this name and here are the numbers to confirm
    60177889915 or 60176110292 these numbers are for the 2 criminals and their Government will not do anything... please share to save people

    ReplyDelete
  23. i must be the victim of same guy with the same pictures on okcupid, i meet him in ocober and he asked me for almost 20000$ to send him because he was in trouble. here is the account info that he wanted me to send

    Accountholder: NANTHIPHAK WEPULANON CHIKE

    Accountholder's address: 25 Soi Ramkhamhaeng 79/1, Ramkhamhaeng Rd., Huamark, Bangkapi, Bangkok, 10240 Bangkok, Thailand

    Accountholder's telephone number: +66956780852

    Name of bank: KRUNGTHAI BANK

    Bank address: 35 Sukhumvit Road, Klong Toey Nua Sub-district, Wattana District, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

    Bank account number: 8780146856

    Bank swift code: KRTHTHBK

    Purpose for sending: PERSONAL PURPOSE

    ReplyDelete
  24. https://www.facebook.com/beritatv9/videos/534637820043943/?comment_id=534726376701754&reply_comment_id=535138119993913&ref=notif&notif_t=video_reply

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,

    I'm sorry to hear about your sad story. I hope you have moved on and things are back to normal for you.

    I, myself was a victim of a similar scam. The scammer is also a Nigerian and residing in Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. He did a very good job. I was also convinced of his flowery words of love and admiration. I don't get attracted to Africans. Don't get me wrong, not being racist but they are just not my type. But this scammer, became an exception for the very first time. I get attracted to him not because of his physical appearance but the way he talks and project his attitude and outlook in life. He seemed to be genuine as he talks about God and being righteous.

    We met on facebook, he sent me a friend request. I don't just add people on facebook unless he is a friend of a friend. I don't know what happened to me on that day that I accepted his friend request. Of course he used a different name and a stolen photos. The profile picture he used is a picture of a Chinese man. After a couple months of talking, we became very close. We talked day and night. He was the sweetest talker in the world. Embarrassingly he became my boyfriend until one night, he asked me for money. At that very instance, my world crumbled, I knew everything was a scam. The following day I broke up with him. It was so hard for me, I fell in love with him. I thought he was the nicest man that I could ever have in my life. After several days he continued to send me messages, begging for my forgiveness and revealed to me his real identity, that he is not Chinese but a Nigerian. He even showed me his university ID and passport. He's claiming that he is taking masters in building management in UUM. He even told me that he has a love child from a woman who is already married with kids and that he hasn't seen his child yet as the mother is hiding her away from him.

    After the so called break up we continued to talk, I could not just avoid him. I really fell in love with him. He even became sweeter and appeared so genuine. He even told me that he will never ever ask for money from me again. He said he will work hard for his money and treat me well with it. He told me he was just asked by his friend to try the scam. He said he will never do it again and will work hard to be with me, without me spending even a single cent.

    He was very loving.

    Although he did not ask for money again, I tried to open up my mind. I thought what he was doing is another strategy to a more dangerous scam. Just today, after almost a month of talking again after the "break up" I decided to finally get rid of him. Blocked him from everything he could make contact of me. I hope I could stand firm and completely erase him of my life. It hurts, though he was not able to get money from me, the emotional stress is substantial.

    Life has to go on and may the Almighty give us (victims) the strength to finally move on wearing the best smile on our face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms. Samantha. I read your story. Scammers have many strategies. If you just know my stories you will never dare to go back with him, he will find ways to take your money as face.to.face scam. Your story is very familiar, am a victim of scam. Just send me please his faked fb account if this the man stolen my 15k rm. This is my email ad babymanika@live.co.uk. Just dont be fooled, this man born with a silver tongue to convince women to fall with him then he will start his games that he was in trouble this in that, not silver spoon because he is poor in Nigeria. He pretended Chinese man now before he is American man using an innocent child. Well believe me he is a big damn liar, really a scammer and a swindler. He dont have a heart, this Nigerian is with a Chinese woman in Malaysia who is his consultant in scamming. Before he got a Uganda prostitute while he scammed a lady teacher. He talked God, he almost memorized the verses in the bible but the truth he is Evil. I tracked this man, his family in Nigeria and his behavior in Malaysia. Most of his friends there are complaining, he drinks every night despite of his situation, he dont have a proper documents or visa in Malaysia, he make a noise at the middle of the night, he got big mouth that will disturb his other flatnates. If this the number he is using for u 60169573596. Please send me the details of this man to save innocent working women. There will be more victims if we dont help each other. Thank you

      Delete
    2. Hello Ms. Samantha. I am a victim of your so.called boyfriend online. He is a scammer. If he cannot get money through fake photos, he will reveal himself like he did to me but still he wants your money. Don't be fool, Nigerians don't know how to love, they are heartless human being alive on earth. Money is more important to them. I'm very stubborn i didnt listen this man's neighbors/friends and ex.girlfriends who warned me about this Nigerian. You can post your experience in facebook 'scammers scamming' at least you can help other working women to be aware of his fake account in facebook. There will be more victims of this illegal Nigerian in Malaysia if you just kept quiet there.

      Delete
    3. Hi Women, be carefull of a few facebook accounts below, profile picture is Chinese man. There are all scammers. In fact, the profile picture is belongs to a real person called 童振源。

      1 - Jimmy Wong (2 FB accounts) lives in Los Angeles, California. Works at Zion Oil and Gas, Inc

      2 - Chong Michael lives in Los Angeles, California. Works at Zion Oil and Gas, Inc

      3 - James Wong lives in Los Angeles, California. Works at Zion Oil and Gas, Inc

      4 - Fang Ming Chen lives in Los Angeles, California. Works as Cheif Executive Officer at GEOSAT.

      Just send all these scammers back to hell. They are not qualified to survive on earth.

      I am also reported to FB the fake accounts but seems no response.

      Delete
  26. Malaysia Is Becoming A Global Hub For Nigerians Online Love Scams. Will You Be The Next Victim?
    These scammers target lonely women who are mainly elderly, divorcee or single. Victims are lured to trust the scammers who usually “SWEET TALK” their way and are wooed by empty promises. Scammers are using fake online profiles with photos of other people, and some are using their true identities and photos in Facebook but the same strategies; and professing their Love quickly to steal your money. This is called the “LOVE SCAM.” They then get their victims to wire some amount of money after giving various reasons such as they are in trouble, got caught, among others. Victims are also persuaded for more and more money all through sweet-talking until the money has been transferred into their accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have a friend who got conned for over a million in malaysian currency. Only god knows how she got conned for so much. I heard stories like this for years now. I know no matter how intelligent we are or how well aware we are yet we got tricked or conned somehow. I'm not saying I got conned but I try to spread news and educate more ladies of what scammers can do and to what extend they will do to convince ladies especially the lonely one that looking for love. But thank you for sharing your story because only people who shared their experience and stories can educate and make more ladies are well aware of this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sadly...I am one of the victims too. Happened three days ago. Similar story as what you have shared here. I feel very sad.crying always,regret everything. Lost my money,heart is broken all the time.I realise we cannot stop these scams,eventhough we have reports to relevant authorities. Hugs to all who have encountered the same situation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am victim too and i can't believe that my countrymen would be an accomplice of my chatmate, same as you they are veey convincing i lost 40k usd i loaned and i used my property as mortgage now i am very broke don't know what to do, there are many filipinas in Malaysia doing scam, my scammer used a name of LEAH SAPITAN SANTOS and the other girl is RUBY MENDOZA LOPERA which is her real name and i have her passport details

    ReplyDelete
  30. The best scammers are from Nigeria, its not rocket science, in Nigeria it is called as 419. This guys all of them are cheaters.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I almost fell victim to same romance scam. I almost sent a huge amount of money and was getting ready to send even more. I was saved by a secret investigator and her team lead by Mrs. Karen. They saved my valuable time and money.

    Their professional background check investigators can determine if the person or company is real and legitimate..their private investigator and detective services are strictly confidential and client data is always protected. Through their services, they enable clients to identify risks and make informed decisions.

    They conduct global verification services, investigations and international background checks for both organizations and individuals. They can save you valuable time and money,
    Oh and they do not charge for their service. Glad i found their site. Their email ; detectkaren11@mail.com
    They might be able to help you too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. thank you for sharing the story, i think i became a victim too. im not sure yet actually, he pretend to be us army who have duty in. nigeria, i knew him from dating site and he already proposed me at the first chat. and give lot of excuse everytime i want to see him or have video call, but he is not asking my money or not yet. i think i need to be more careful about him as i read a lot of army scammers case and read your story. thanks again for share your story

    ReplyDelete
  33. Has anyone heard or come across RICHARD LUIS HELMUTH from KL or Selangor or Malaysia or somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am very sorry my dear, i am a nigerian, but not all nigerians are bad, but you need to be careful my dear

    ReplyDelete
  35. hi
    when i reading your story it reminds me about the men that i knew in FB. it is exactly same like yours, he said he don't have money so he have to sell his watch, how stupid i am, i do believe on his story which is look so real. my case i have to bank in a money (custom) that (shipment) from thailand to malaysia, and what i know there have 5 people that actually malaysian people. i still keep their account no for me to trace back all these scammers. but i thing that i find is one of the scammers is actually working as nurse in goverment hospital. i wish malaysia have one detective that can find all these scammers, due even we reported to police, it still theres nothing can stop them from keep hunting for new people to get money. i was lost about RM100k, stupid right simply give people money without knowing them. i wish i want to meet them and ask why. i hope no more malaysian girls get scam due it will destroy someone future. i hope malaysian have more social organization to find why how to reduce it and find the scammers until they get caught like cat fish.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I was so devastated and broken early in the year, when I thought I was going the right path, only to discover I was being scammed and taken advantage of, i have since risen above it as i was able to get my money back through the eagle's eyes, its a secret service in the new revolution against cyber crimes and fraud, you can contact them and let them help you get your money back in full on seuredinternet@gmail. com do not die in silence

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just found out today by reading all these stories, that I have been scammed. I registered on this online dating site Plenty of fish. I am a lesbian looking to meet a woman for dating or long relationship. As long as I registered, this girl sent me a message. After sharing a few messages through the site. She ask me to download the Hangouts app so we can chat. It called my attention when I asked if she had whassap so we could chat better, but she refused saying that she had lost her smart phone and she was in Benin, Africa for about three weeks to collect some antiques, as that was her business. I just passed that red flag and simply started to chat with her. The next day after we started talking, she said she was gonna send me an email so I could know a little bit more about herself. So we shared emails. She sent me a very long email and it kind of looked copy and pasted. However, I just was delightful with the gesture of sharing "her life"with me. So I replied back and we started to chat every day, twice a day. She sent me about eight photos of a beautiful girl, exactly my type. Only had passed few days since we met and she started to come a bit strong and intense to me. She was extremely romantic and poetic and she was capturing my heart little by little. However, there were red flags that made me think if that was real. Until about three days ago, i asked to video chat with me. She said she was having some troubleshoot with the computer and she was gonna get it fixed. I suggested her to download skype, but she gané me another excuse. It was always something... the power went off st the city, bad connection, etc. We talked like four times by phone but the connection was very bad that we weren't able to listen to each other properly, and just for like 2 mins. I'm a sensitive and smart woman with list of love to give. But my intuition was giving me these red flags, to the point that I just told her that if she didn't show herself to me, i was gonna put on hold these feelings, and I just did. She got pissed off and tried to convince me with a profound and wise argument. Because she know I wasn't superficial at all. Thank God I could see those red flags on time, plus I had my friends pushing me as well and suggesting me that I probably had been scammed. We didn't go any further and never got to the point of being asked for money. But I'm sure that was gonna come eventually. I'm sharing this story because those people are in all kind of chats. Now I can think that I wasn't even talking to a woman, and that dissapointed me so bad, as I just wasted my time on that person. But anyways, there is always a lesson to learn. And thank God i could walk away with my heart and bank account intact.
    Btw, this person clained she was from NZ and just lived for 5 months in NY for business. But was in Benin for a few weeks buying antiques to sell.

    ReplyDelete